The great thing about having done several trivia episodes in the past is that when we have to come up with a new show on the fly, we can always tap into the wealth of past contestants and trivia books on our shelves. Thus was the case last week, and we were happy to throw together another T H E. I had just seen past winner Mallory Vallier at a play the week before and had talked about doing another Exam soon. Lo and behold, the day came sooner than later. Mallory and I decided to do a horror musical-themed Exam, so she got a couple more theatre people to play and we were in business! Joining Mallory, our contestants for the 13th edition of The Horror Exam were Regina Palmer and Joey Galda.
Below are some sample questions:
ROUND 1 – IMDB Smart Ass (1 pt.)
- [movie title]
Ramin Karimloo – Simon Callow – Miranda Richardson – Minnie Driver – Emmy Rossum – Patrick Wilson – Gerard Butler
“A young soprano becomes the obsession of a disfigured musical genius who lives beneath the Paris Opéra House. He kidnaps the soprano and forces the owners of the play to keep her as the lead role of the play.”
- [movie title]
Nell Campbell – Patricia Quinn – Meat Loaf – Barry Bostwick – Richard O’Brien – Susan Sarandon – Tim Curry
“A newly engaged couple have a breakdown in an isolated area and must pay a call to the bizarre residence of Dr. Frank-N-Furter.”
- [movie title]
Christopher Guest – Jim Belushi – Tisha Campbell – Vincent Gardenia – John Candy – Steve Martin – Ellen Greene – Rick Moranis
“A nerdy florist finds his chance for success and romance with the help of a giant man-eating plant who demands to be fed.”
ROUND 2 – Multiple Choice (1 pt.)
- Rocky Horror was the feature film debut of who?
- Tim Curry
- Meat Loaf
- Barry Bostwick
- Susan Sarandon
- What holiday “Easter Eggs” can be seen through the film.
- Christmas presents
- Literal Easter eggs
- Combined with Queen Elizabeth II, Tim Curry based Dr. Frankenfurter’s voice off of who else?
- Marilyn Monroe
- His mother’s telephone voice
- Margaret Thatcher
- His grandmother
ROUND 3 – You Took the Words Right Outta My Mouth (1 pt.)
Anthony starts a lyric, you finish it
- Honey, what’cha waiting for, welcome to my candy store…
- There’s a face that we wear in the cold light of day, it’s society’s mask, it’s society’s way…
- Past the point of no return, no backward glances…
ROUND 4 – True/False (1 pt.)
- TRUE or FALSE: Dean Pitchford, lyricist of Carrie: The Musical, also wrote the screenplay for Footloose.
- TRUE or FALSE: “Mean Green Mother From Outer Space” from Little Shop is the first Oscar-nominated song with profanity.
- TRUE or FALSE: Michael Crawford, the original Phantom of the Opera was “discovered” singing opera on the streets of London in 1964.
ROUND 6 – Nonsense Lightning Round (2 pt.)
- A fruit cake in edible condition found in a hut in Antarctica was discovered to be how old?
- Traffic on an Arkansas interstate was brought to a halt when a truck crash spilled hundreds of what onto the road?
- A Turkish martial artist set a world record by having how many concrete blocks smashed on his chest?